TRIPAWDS: Home to 23058 Members and 2156 Blogs.

Post-op Visit

Chococat had his post-op vet visit yesterday. Good news is his is healing nicely and he will only need his cone of shame/stay crated for 10 more days! Not so good news is he has a bit of a respiratory infection that we need to watch. If we can get through the poopsplosion of 2018 that happened a few days ago we can get through anything!! Check out the video, too! We let him stretch his legs for a bit.

He fell in his POO!

Chococat is 4 days post-op. He pooped for the first time after surgery, yesterday evening! My husband saw him in the act and went to get the scooper to get it out of his litter box right away. He was only gone 15 seconds. When he came back to Chococat’s crate there was poo everywhere. He’s been having a hard time with the amputated and it has been hard for him to balance and get in and out of the litter box. Choco must have fallen down while trying to climb out resulting in the poopsplosion. It took 2 hours to clean him and the crate. It took so long to clean him because the poo got on his incision area. We called the vet and they gave us instruction on how to clean it properly. Good thing is, we go for a check up tomorrow and we will have the vet look at the incision area to make sure nothing is wrong.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening again? Right now we are removing his litter box and putting it back for him to use every couple hours so we can watch him go and clean up right away. Maybe puppy pads? Hopefully this doesn’t happen again, but it seems like everyday is a new adventure.

Here are a couple pictures before the poo-incident.

The Story

On Saturday, January 20th, Chococat jumped or lost his footing from the second floor and landed at the bottom of the staircase. He ran up the stairs where I caught him after I rushed over there from hearing him meowing in pain. I picked him up and when I did I noticed his left rear ankle was flopping around so we rushed to the emergency vet. Due to cost, at the ER, we had him examined, his leg splinted and pain meds injected. We called my mother’s vet and they were able to get us an appointment to be seen the next day on Sunday. So on Sunday, we dove 2 hours to the vet. They examined him, gave him another pain med injection, and x-rays. The x-rays showed 2 fractures, one clean through the tibia and another through the fibula just above the ankle. They could not reset the bones and cast it due to location, so the only options were to correct it surgically or amputate. There was a very slim chance of the surgery with screws and plates holding since there was barely any room to adhere screws to under the fracture, but the option was still given. So, due to cost and the stress it would cause to put the cat through two surgeries if the first one failed, we decided to amputate his leg. The vet agreed we were doing the right thing, but it was still a hard decision to make. On Monday, January 22nd Chococat’s leg was amputated. He spent the night at the vet for observation and he was able to come home on Tuesday, January 23rd.

Image may contain: cat